Published in Politics NJ, Friday, April 6, 2007
Ex-Plainfield Mayor dies
By Editor - April 6, 2007 - 10:41am
Former Plainfield Mayor Albert McWilliams passed away early this morning after a battle with renal cancer.
McWilliams was elected Mayor in 1997 and re-elected in 2001. In 2005, he lost his bid for a third term, losing to Sharon Robinson-Briggs by about 300 votes in the Democratic primary after losing the support of the Union County Democratic organization. He later switched to the Republican Party and ran as a write-in candidate. Funeral arrangements are pending.
"Al McWilliams was a man who cared much more about the people of Plainfield than about politics," said Union County GOP Chairman Phil Morin. "He was a man with vision and hope for the City of Plainfield, and he worked tirelessly to make that vision a reality. Plainfield's renaissance is due in large part to his efforts.""
He will Be missed
Submitted by walkdown on April 6, 2007 - 2:43pm.
Albert was a good Mayor who took a pragmatic approach to government. He well be missed.
A Super Individual
Submitted by PoliticsSJ on April 6, 2007 - 3:25pm.
Al was a gentle man who had great ideas for Plainfield, and was cut loose by the democrats when he wouldn't play their game. He kept his integrity to the end. Al could teach all politicians what it means to have integrity. God Bless the McWilliams family."
Link to online story.
(Note: Online stories may be taken down by their publisher after a period of time or made available for a fee. Links posted here is from the original online publication of this piece.)
(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Plainfield Today, Plainfield Stuff and Clippings have no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of these articles nor are Plainfield Today, Plainfield Stuff or Clippings endorsed or sponsored by the originator.)
- ► 2008 (87)
- Schools - Muhlenberg - Assemblyman Green - CN
- Schools - SL - SCC's final cut for construction
- Schools - CN - Green proposes school for Muhlenber...
- Letter to Mayor Robinson-Briggs concerning 'Plainf...
- Plainfield Gazette attacks Damon, McWilliams, Satu...
- McWilliams - News Obituary - Courier
- McWilliams - News Obituary - Ledger
- Ex-Plainfield mayor dies - PoliticsNJ - 4/6/2007
- ▼ April (8)
- Plainfield resident since 1983. Retired as the city's Public Information Officer in 2006; prior to that Community Programs Coordinator for the Plainfield Public Library. Founding member and past president of: Faith, Bricks & Mortar; Residents Supporting Victorian Plainfield; and PCO (the outreach nonprofit of Grace Episcopal Church). Supporter of the Library, Symphony and Historic Society as well as other community groups, and active in Democratic politics.