Ave atque Vale
Multās per gentēs et multa per aequora vectus
adveniō hās miserās, frāter, ad īnferiās,
ut tē postrēmō dōnārem mūnere mortis
et mūtam nēquīquam alloquerer cinerem.
quandoquidem fortūna mihī tētē abstulit ipsum.
heu miser indignē frāter adēmpte mihi,
nunc tamen intereā haec, prīscō quae mōre parentum
trādita sunt trīstī mūnere ad īnferiās,
accipe frāternō multum mānantia flētū,
atque in perpetuum, frāter, avē atque valē.
Ave atque Vale
Through many countries and over many seas
I have come, Brother, to these melancholy rites,
to show this final honour to the dead,
and speak (to what purpose?) to your silent ashes,
since now fate takes you, even you, from me.
Oh, Brother, ripped away from me so cruelly,
now at least take these last offerings, blessed
by the tradition of our parents, gifts to the dead.
Accept, by custom, what a brother’s tears drown,
and, for eternity, Brother, ‘Hail and Farewell’.
Gaius Valerius Catullus
Not getting your own CLIPPINGS email daily? Click here to get started.
- ► 2008 (87)
- ► 2007 (156)
- Iraq - Wash Post - Biden: A plan
- Negotiating - Ledger - How to haggle: Power negoti...
- Police Escorts - Courier - Editorial: Mayoral body...
- Dems - NCR - Seek to revive 'common good' as new s...
- Obituary - NCR - Sr. Mary Luke Tobin, took part in...
- Mayor Robinson-Briggs - Courier - Gets police esco...
- Real Estate - NY Times - Chart, 1890 - 2005
- Real Estate - NY Times - Overview 1890-2005
- Illegal Immigrants - Herald News - Ordinance divid...
- Language competence- Wash Post - Skube: "Writing o...
- Computers - Chicago Tribune - Hiding stuff in plai...
- How-to - Yahoo Finance - Sucess...anywhere
- Pittis Carillon - The Carillon Keyboard and Playin...
- Pittis Carillon - Trevor Workman - Carillonneur to...
- Housing - NY Times - Krugman: Housing gets ugly
- House Tour - September 10, 2006
- Redevelopment - Map - Cottage Place/East 3rd/Richm...
- Casablanca - I'm shocked!
- Pay-to-Play - Courier Post - County party committe...
- Policing - Courier - Plainfield and selected towns...
- Iraq War - Austin Statesman - Sheehan group protes...
- Book Review - WashPost - Juan Williams: Enough
- Crime - Courier - Editorial: No crime news is good...
- Crime - Courier - City wants crime to be trend
- Letter - Courier - Editorial Ignores Dem Machine
- Farber resignation - PoliticsNJ - Selected items
- Union County honored for Park-Madison complex
- Plainfield - Transportation Museum Proposal - 1998...
- BP - NY Times - Green logo, but BP is old oil
- Gangs - Ledger - Recruiting youngsters
- The Auditor - Ledger - August 13, 2006
- Poem - The Bridge Builder - Will Allen Dromgoole
- Development - Hevesi Release - Developer trick: Un...
- Development - NY Times - Developer trick: Understa...
- Tax reform - Courier - Public benefit plans assail...
- Robbery - Courier - Motorist robbed at knifepoint,...
- Council - Courier - Editorial: Latinos deserved cl...
- Blanco - Courier - Memorial Service
- Menendez - Ledger - Lesniak fundraiser features Bi...
- Catullus - Poem 101 - On the death of his brother
- Pension Contributions - Ledger - Plainfield Data
- Route 78 - Ledger - Commuter help online
- Farber - Courier - Questions abound in probe
- House Tour - Courier - Queen City readies for Sept...
- Block Association clinic and kickoff set for Satur...
- Farber - Ledger - Corzine stifles questioning on F...
- Farber - Courier - Willing to appear before Judici...
- Immigratrion - NY Times - OpEd: On Schwarzenegger'...
- Members of 4 Tax Reform Committees
- ▼ August (49)
- Plainfield resident since 1983. Retired as the city's Public Information Officer in 2006; prior to that Community Programs Coordinator for the Plainfield Public Library. Founding member and past president of: Faith, Bricks & Mortar; Residents Supporting Victorian Plainfield; and PCO (the outreach nonprofit of Grace Episcopal Church). Supporter of the Library, Symphony and Historic Society as well as other community groups, and active in Democratic politics.